- Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission (SATCC) is the accrediting body for the Red Seal Mobile Crane Operator trade.
- Mobile Crane Operators operate mobile cranes to lift, move, position and place materials and equipment. They perform pre-operational inspections. They calculate crane capacities, determine load weight, and set up, position and stabilize the crane before the lift. Mobile Crane Operators have the additional responsibilities of disassembling, traveling and transporting mobile cranes.
This training complies with Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 1996 Part XIII Hoist, Cranes and Lifting Devices Section 204-1 (a) and Table 16. Successful participant will be signed off by the Interprovincial Journeyman Instructor, and by the employer to verify that the employee is competent, and has received both theory and practical training.
Occupational Health and Safety Regulations related to cranes.
Types of Cranes
- Types of cranes.
- Specific design of crane to be operated.
- Basic geometry of cranes.
- Check route of travel, clearances, and ground conditions.
- Check site of operation.
- Identify potentially dangerous situations.
- Identify and use controls.
- Pre-start check.
- Post-operating check.
- Perform operating adjustments.
Operation of Crane
- Movement to location.
- Change configurations.
- Check for safety of other personnel.
- Safety precautions while crane is unattended.
- Load gauge on crane.
- Calculation of load.
- Incorporate weight of attachments.
Establish Capability of Crane
- Implications of moments.
- Use load charts to determine capability.
- Effect of boom length, angle and radius.
- Effect of configuration changes.
- Centre of gravity.
- Abnormal loading.
- Multi-crane lifts.
- Inspection of wire rope and hardware.
- Rigging loads.
- Rigging slings.
- Safety factors.
- Designated signaller.
- Methods of signalling.
- Hand signals.
Maintenance of Crane
- Maintenance schedule.
- Inspection procedures.
- Wire rope inspection and maintenance.
- Record Inspections, Maintenance, Calibrations, Work Activities
- Hours of Service
- Theory exams and individual practical evaluations conducted and signed off by Interprovincial Journeyman instructor.